Monday, January 31, 2011

That's Right...Balls.

So my dad is sick and I've been really sad about it and it's made me not want to cook, much less write about cooking.  The ironic thing is my dad is the one who got me interested in cooking in the first place, so my not cooking probably bugs the crap out of him.

I've decided to start cooking, but still bug the crap out of my dad by telling you how to make veggie meat balls, and then telling you how I totally snicker every time I type "balls."  Heh heh.  Balls.  Also I said "crap" twice so I'm probably grounded now, but it was totally worth it.  The way I see it, going through chemo has to be better if one has something to look forward to - like yelling at one's potty-mouthed daughter.  You're welcome, Dad.

OK, let's do this:

Veggie "Meat" Balls (Pppfffha! Ha!)
makes 20 balls (tee heee!)
hands on time 5 min, total time 25 min

1 clove garlic, minced
1 package of baked tofu, savory flavor - NOT teriyaki
couple pinches of dried herbs of your choice - I made spaghetti, so I used Italian-y herbs: dried basil, oregano, parsley
2 eggs
2/3 c panko breadcrumbs 

Preheat the oven to 350ºF.

Pulse the garlic and tofu in your little food processor.  If you still haven't ordered it you can mash it all up by hand, but you run the risk of straining your wine-glass-lifting muscles.  Safety first, friends.


Transfer to a bowl and stir in herbs, eggs and breadcrumbs.  Roll the mixture into 20 ping pong ball sized balls (haaa!).  Bake on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper for 10 minutes, roll them around a bit, then bake for another 10 minutes.






No comments:

Post a Comment