Friday, January 7, 2011

Weekend Calorie Splurge: Double Chocolate Ginger Cookies

This recipe is adapted from Gingerbread by Jennifer Linder McGlinn.  I made a whole bunch of these for the holidays and gave them to friends, which is just another reason you should totally try to be my friend.

Keys to becoming my friend:

-Walk my dog when I'm out of town or on a bender
-Do the dishes when I cook (this is also the key to becoming my husband)
-Make my blog famous

OK, let's do this:
Double Chocolate Ginger Cookies
total time 20 min

3/4 cup all pupose flour
1/4 cocoa powder
1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
2 t ground ginger
1 t ground cinnamon
--------------------------
1/2 c (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temp
8 oz kind of dark chocolate bar chopped into little bits
3/4 c granulated sugar
1/4 c packed brown  sugar
2 large eggs
2 t vanilla
-------------------------
confectioners' sugar for rolling

Preheat the oven to 350ºF

Whisk together the first group of ingredients and set aside.

Fill a small pot halfway-ish with water over med/high heat.  Put a heat proof bowl on top of the pot.  Put 1/2 the chocolate and all the butter in the bowl and stir until it's all smooth and melty.

Remove from heat and stir in sugar.  Allow to cool for a few minutes, then stir in eggs, vanilla and remaining chocolate bits.

Slowly stir the flour into the chocolate mixture.  The recipe says to allow the dough to cool in the fridge for two hours.  I don't have that kind of cookie patience, so I stuck it in the freezer for 1/2 an hour and it turned out just fine.



Once it's cooled, roll little balls of dough in the powdered sugar.  Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 10-12 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment